Many people can have one or two social drinks now and then without ever developing a drinking problem. Meanwhile, others struggle with addiction and the disease of alcoholism. This may prompt you to ask what is alcoholism and how does it differ from casual alcohol use?
What Causes Alcoholism?
Why is it that two people can react so differently to the effects of alcohol? Many factors combine to determine how likely someone is to become an alcoholic. These include genetics as well as the person’s social environment, mental health and coping strategies. Even the company you keep can affect the likelihood that your drinking could transition over time into damaging alcoholism.
What is Alcoholism Doing to Your Life?
The question of what is alcoholism is a complex one. Alcoholism is a disease with physical symptoms that worsen over time unless you get treatment and stop drinking. Unfortunately, denial is one of the symptoms, which makes reaching out for help difficult for many alcoholics. If you’re concerned that you or someone you love might be an alcoholic, do your best to honestly answer the following questions:
- Do you have difficulty limiting the amount you drink?
- Has your drinking resulted in problems with money, your relationships or your job?
- Have people confronted you about your drinking, only to have you deny it?
- Do you ever blackout while drinking?
- If you try to stop, do you have physical symptoms of withdrawal?
- Do you keep the extent of your drinking secret or hide alcohol?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions, you need to think about quitting alcohol addiction.
How the Hills Treatment Center Can Make a Difference in Your Life
Some people come to Los Angeles to become movie stars. Others seek out the Hollywood Hills for another, more crucial reason. People travel from Georgia, Florida, New York, California and many other parts of the U.S. to find lasting sobriety through treatment at The Hills Recovery Center.
Our pet-friendly, beautiful inpatient facility is nestled in the iconic Hollywood hills. We’re far enough away from the city to provide peace and healing but close enough to enable you to transition back into your home environment with our support when the time comes. Our facility is fully accredited and is staffed by compassionate counselors and therapists who know about recovery through firsthand experience. When you join us, you can expect to benefit from the following services:
- Comprehensive physical and psychological evaluation
- Medically supervised detox
- Inpatient group and individual addiction therapies, including emphasis on dual diagnoses if necessary
- Partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient options
- Sober living placements in the community
At The Hills Treatment Center, we have the answers to “what is alcoholism?” Moreover, we know that recovery isn’t a feat that you can accomplish in a matter of days or months. It’s a lifelong path, and we have the dedication to help you along every part of the journey. In order to get on that road to healing and sobriety, you need to take the first step. Call us today at 844-915-0287.